Sending an email has been the chosen means of business and consumer communication for over 20 years, and the trend isn’t projected to change with over four billion daily email users around the world. People spend a combined five hours per day checking work and personal emails, making it a prime marketing channel to reach your audience with an attractive, cleverly worded message straight from your brand.
There’s simply one more hurdle to jump — writing email copy that converts.
How Do You Write Good Email Content?
We’ve already established that email marketing is a crucial part of your business toolkit. The next step is to craft an email that will not only stand out from all the other marketing emails in consumer inboxes but one that will get opened, too. To do so, we’ve compiled a list of email marketing tips geared toward writing email copy that will convert readers into customers:
- Use the subject line to hook your readers. Your audience will be much more likely to open your emails if they think they’ll miss a good deal by not clicking. Access user curiosity — include personalized content and mention any special offers or time constraints you have right in that space. There are all types of subject lines you can create based on the intent of the email. They can be promotional, urgent, humorous, use first-name fields, and more. Altering your subject line to match your email’s content will engage the reader and increase the number of opens you receive, too.
- Make good use of the preview text. The preview text lives in your recipient’s inbox view and is most often the first line of your email. Crafting a great one serves a dual purpose and provides yet another chance to entice your users to open the email. Use this function to include another essential element you weren’t able to fit in the subject line.
- Write user-friendly and web copy-friendly text. Don’t present your readers with a large block of jargon-stuffed text. Instead, break email copy down into clear, concise sentences and short paragraphs. Get straight to the point — tell readers what’s in it for them and do so in a friendly tone that avoids sales jargon and makes good use of images.
- Know your audience and personalize your emails. Including recipient names in the subject line and the copy is a good start, but this will only go so far. Research your audience and segment based on location, age, gender, interest, and more. Once you have gathered this data, send thoughtful emails geared toward each division to add a personal touch.
- Optimize your call to action. Now that your reader has been hooked by a compelling subject line and absorbed all of the information you’ve provided; you need them to take action. Help your recipients get started by using action words that define precisely what they should do now. This might mean clicking to continue reading a story, taking a survey, or viewing more products. Then, include clear, well-placed buttons for readers to do just that.
- Consider your goal. A successful email begins with a goal in mind. What is the purpose of the email you are sending out? What action do you want your readers to take after receiving it? Are you simply spreading knowledge, or do you want to drive clicks to your website? Plan out the end goal of your email, and then review your content, images, and call to action (CTA) to ensure all elements speak to and further your objective.
With so many different factors contributing to writing excellent email copy, you will be sure to find that one marketing strategy that works better than others for your audience. To ensure you use the best approach, conduct testing to see which tactics convert more of your readers and optimize them to capture a larger share of your audience. Testing allows you to compare and contrast what works for your brand and what doesn’t. You can gain insight into what your audience wants to see more of from your company, and what isn’t as appealing for them.
Still Struggling? Zero Gravity Marketing Can Help
Need help perfecting your ideal email marketing strategy? Work with our team of expert email marketing professionals at ZGM — our insights and expertise can help you capture the attention of your audience and create content that converts. Contact us today for more information!