Zero Gravity Marketing is looking for a web developer intern to assist with WordPress website development and a wide variety of digital marketing projects, including SEO implementation. Our ideal candidate would excel with minimal supervision, proactively find solutions to problems and be able to communicate with clients and the internal team effectively. Zero Gravity Marketing is the largest digital marketing agency in Connecticut that specializes in search engine optimization (SEO). We use WordPress to build responsive websites from existing themes and frequently fulfill more advanced WordPress theme customizations. This internship could provide the right candidate real-world marketing agency experience and valuable insight into digital marketing, specifically, search engine optimization and search marketing. It is a great opportunity for growth, and hours are flexible with both full and part time positions. On-site work is required but many responsibilities can be performed remotely.
- CMS Knowledge: In order of importance and level of Full-Stack experience:
- WordPress: Expert, should have the ability to develop custom plugins and themes using OOP.
- Magento 2: Mid Level, At a minimum the ability to develop custom theme.
- Drupal: Mid Level, At a minimum the ability to develop custom theme.
- HTML: Knowing how to structure quality semantics that are both SEO and Developer friendly is a requirement. Need to be able to map out designs in component/module based formats with modern html standards.
- SCSS: Knowing how to us a CSS pre-processor is a requirement. Need to be very advanced to expert level at CSS. Need to be well versed in bootstrap (or another popular css framework), flex-box, utility classes, BEM, and have strong opinions about organization.
- PHP: Knowing how to use PHP to leverage WordPress is a requirement. Need to understand how PHP 7 classes work. Need to know how to use composer and autoloading. Need to know how an MVC structure works and experience in at least one PHP framework like Laravel. PHP is known to be a messy language, so need to understand how to keep it clean and readable.
- MYSQL: Knowing how to read and interact with database like MYSQL is a requirement.
- WordPress: Knowing the ins and out of WordPress is a requirement. Need to understand how to build a custom theme from scratch (with an opinion on your favorite starter theme). Need to understand how to build a custom plugin from scratch. Need experience with all the shitty plugins and themes out there that you had to work with. Need strong opinions on the best tools for the job as it related directly to WordPress. Need experience with WP multi-site and how that database works. Need to know how to optimize a WordPress site for better performance. Need to know how to leverage custom fields and structure those fields in a user-friendly way. Need to understand the WordPress REST API and when to use it.
- GIT: Knowing how to use GIT is a requirement. Need to understand basic git workflows, setting up gitignore’s, using different branches, and connecting the repo to an automatic deployment service.
- PROJECT MANAGEMENT: Being able to take ownership of a development project from inception to finish is a requirement. Knowing how to estimate a project and manage your time properly is a requirement. Need to be able to work with designers, account executives, developers (sometimes contractors), and clients directly on projects. Knows how to leverage a project management tool to keep projects & timelines organized.
Nice to haves
- Experience in any of the following: Laravel, Magento, Shopify, Craft CMS, Drupal, React Native, Static Site Generators (Nuxt.js, Gatsby.js), Cloudways, WP Engine, Buddy Works, Bugherd.
- Attends Tech Meetups / Conferences.
Dependent on Skill Level